With the special capability of identifying multiple individual items without the line-of-sight constraint and real-time data provision, the Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology enables innovation applications ranging from supply chain automation to counterfeit prevention. While RFID has been successfully in use in security control, physical asset management and specialized tracking applications for many years, there is an increasing trend towards integration of RFID and other sensor technologies to provide more sophisticated business automation and process control. By extending RFID tags to a wide range of external connectivity, the tagged objects become smarter compared with the traditional RFID tag-and-reader solutions. Furthermore, the enhanced information captured in the integrated RFID systems exploit the potential to improve the various activities such as object condition monitoring, quality surveillance, machine fault prognosis and performance evaluation.
The theme of the special issues will be to discover the new applications in leveraging RFID with sensor technologies as well as the challenges related to their implementation and deployment. This special issue will focus on advancing research in discussing design and implementations issues related to the heterogeneous systems relying on RFID and sensor technologies by publishing forward-thinking, rigorous research that stimulates future research in this area. The special issue will encourage research that uses empirical and case study approaches to present the fundamental theory, techniques, applications and practical experiences in the context of designing the integrated systems. Furthermore, submissions of scientific results from technical experts from both academe and industry are welcomed.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to the following:
- RFID data gathering, transport, storage, retrieval, mining and dissemination
- RFID data analysis and visualization
- Cryptographic protocols and privacy-enhancing techniques
- Integration of information from sensors and RFID into applications
- Challenges in deployment, maintenance and operation of integrated RFID systems
- Security and privacy challenges introduced by the RFID and sensors leveraging
- Design and implementation challenges in the integrated RFID systems
- Integration with existing communication systems
- Reliability and quality of service
- Impacts on costs and productivity (ROI)
- Innovative applications and case studies
- Logistics and Supply Chain integration